Recipe for German Christmas Cinnamon Star Cookies (Zimtsterne)
These German Cinnamon Star Cookies are completely delicious, and perfect for Christmas. And for those of you who have allergies or intolerances, they’re also naturally dairy and gluten free!
I first had these starry drops of heaven (officially known as ‘Zimtsterne’) when I was about 9. Someone in our village made our family some of these traditional star biscuits one Christmas … I was hooked! I vowed they would always be a staple in my home at Christmas time.
They’re full of everything Christmassy … the heady aroma of warm cinnamon and vanilla, mixed with nuts and a dose of sugary sweetness. For those of you who love macaroons, these Christmas star cookies are very similar. They’re beautifully chewy with a delicate crispy glaze. And they’re amazingly easy to make. My children love the whole process, from cutting out the stars, to painting the ‘icing’ or glaze on. I particularly love the eating bit.
And I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you. They’re incredible straight from the oven.
What You Need:
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 1/4 cup ground almonds (or hazelnuts)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C (without the fan as it can cause the glaze to brown before the cookies are done). Place the rack on the bottom rung of the oven.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium-sized bowl until peaks form (be careful not to over-beat the egg whites or the icing/glaze won’t turn out right). Stir in the icing sugar until combined. Reserve 2 generous, heaping tablespoons of this egg white mixture for the glaze.
- Add the nuts, cinnamon, vanilla essence and salt and beat until the dough comes together in a fairly stiff but pliable mass. If it’s too soft to work with add a few more ground nuts and icing sugar. (If the dough is too sticky, add a little more nut flour.)
- Press/roll the dough onto a non-stick surface sprinkled with icing sugar to a thickness of about 1/3 inch and cut out as many stars as you can. And repeat!
- Use a pastry brush to brush on the reserved egg white mixture in a thin layer (covering it properly) reserving enough for all of the cookies and extending the glaze out to the edges of the cookies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, making sure the underside of the cookies is dry (showing they’re cooked) but the glaze is still white, not golden. Let the cookies cool completely.
- The cookies can be stored in a dry, airtight container in a cool place for at least 2 weeks.
If you’ve never made these before, please give them a go. You won’t regret it.
You may also like to see other Recipes including:
If you would like to subscribe to our Elf Club, and receive our newsletters, special offers, free Guides and discount codes, I’d love to see you there!
To receive our Magical Newsletter
Two FREE Guides in the newsletter:
Family Advent Activities & Ways to Make Christmas Eve More Magical!
The International Elf Service specialises in beautiful handcrafted, personalised letters from magical places … the North Pole and Fairyland. Designed to encourage children to read, while developing and preserving their love of all things magical.
‘Very Helpful’ Fairy & Tooth Fairy Letters
Try our amazingly unique and magical Family Christmas Tradition of Christmas Letter Bundles from the North Pole. Elf letters filled with secrets and snippets from the North Pole, for you to deliver very mysteriously on the Elves behalf … for your children to find.
Elfie’s Christmas Letters – Video is the Christmas 2019 Edition
*You don’t need an Elf or a Fairy Door to enjoy these letters. Pop magical letter by their toothbrush, in their shoes, stashed away with the rest of the mail – have fun!
A sneaky listen to our Advent Calendar Christmas letter bundle from Christmas 2018 … *The Christmas Letter Bundles Are Brand New Each Year!
Hide them among the bills and junk mail, lay them on the table first thing in the morning, stashed among the toys, or snuggled up in their bed. You choose where your children find the letters, to create a magical family tradition the kids will love!
“The best Christmas idea ever.” – Charlie Condou (Actor)
“These were the best things I have ever (and I mean ever) ordered!!
I’ve never seen the magic or happiness last so long x”
– Jolene (August 2017)